When I was a little girl, watching movies about something called the Force, and a black-clad man who breathed as if through a ventilator, and watched a little green thing mix up his sentence construction, little did I know my passion obsession for it would leave me on a plane on a journey 7-8 hours away just to attend a weekend dedicated to the world of Star Wars.
When this post publishes, I’ll probably be near London, or already landed.
This is another birthday present to myself: a long trip to the UK. But I never would’ve taken the initiative to organize this trip for myself had a little newsletter not popped up in my inbox. I don’t often subscribe to them; I find many of them annoying. Indeed, when I signed up for the Guardian Masterclass newsletter, I had no idea where it would take me. I sometimes don’t even read the newsletters that come winging my way; the ‘delete’ button is my friend. But I did click on a particular one that arrived on November 29, 2011 and was titled: “Enrol now for Star Wars weekend in Scotland”.
Since then I was hooked. I kept thinking about whether I could make it happen. Could I afford it? Was it worth it? But I missed UK far too much… I left the country on January 27, 2011 (that date is embedded in my mind), with a heavy heart. I fell in love with the UK and after not having seen my friends or been there for months, I knew this was a reason to go back on holiday. Plane tickets booked, friends informed, and visa in hand … I was ready.
But why would I go for a Star Wars weekend? Simply because I love the Star Wars ‘verse. Here’s a quick glimpse of the things I have or the places I’ve been or the events I’ve gone for that fill the geeky me with glee:
- My second Star Wars poster, which I got for a cool 99p at the most awesome store ever, Forbidden Planet
- My third Star Wars poster…can’t even remember when I got this!
- A magic Star Wars cube, which I picked up while rummaging through the dusty labyrinths of Camden (no picture, sorry!)
- My McDs Happy Meal toy: double-sided lightsaber
- I even have the book of the movies!
- My re-mastered Star Wars DVD set
- My old Star Wars re-mastered VHS tapes, and…
- My even older Star Wars VHS tapes…and…
- Revenge of the Sith on DVD
- My Star Wars t-shirt from Camden
- My other Star Wars t-shirt from a travelling sci-fi fair in Sheffield
- Star Wars bumper sticker: “My other ride is an X-Wing”
- Star Wars iPad decal…ON MY iPad!
- My customised Empire Darth Vader notebook (btw if anyone can get me a copy of that iconic breathing cover, PLEASE let me know…would really appreciate it!)
I probably have some more things about somewhere, but this is all that comes to mind right now. Here’s to an awesome weekend, and learning a lot more about the movies that have such an ingrained part of my life.
May the Force be with us all
– Darth Devina (as Ayub called me when he saw the engraving on my iPad)